Insulation energy appraisals are specifically designed to give facilities managers and building owners a better understanding of the true dollar and performance value of an insulated system. Developed by the National Insulation Association (NIA), the energy appraisal process calculates the energy and money a facility or process is losing with its current insulation system. Then recommendations are made for improving thermal performance, improving facility efficiency, and reducing fuel costs.
Our Energy Appraisal Process
Discovery Meeting »
The first step is an interview and discussion with the facility personnel who know the facility well. This will determine the scope of the appraisal, the scope of a facility’s energy usage and energy distribution systems, and the cost to operate. The appraiser will also review the facility layout and facility drawings (if available) and determine the major sources of energy serving the facility.
Facility Walkthrough »
During a walk-through, the appraiser will measure and document all applicable pipes, ducts, and equipment, both insulated and uninsulated or damaged. The appraiser may also point out areas of concern with uninsulated areas or damaged insulation, such as personnel safety, regulatory compliance, corrosion under insulation, process control, or impact on adjacent equipment.
Custom Calculations »
Once the appraiser has completed the interview with facility staff and walk-through, he or she calculates the data using specialized software to put a dollar value on Btu losses and calculate greenhouse gas emissions.
Final Report »
- Fuel cost savings with your current insulation system, potential upgrades, and potential savings
- Environmental impact in terms of reduced CO2, NOx, and other greenhouse gases resulting from reduced fuel consumption
- Energy (Btu) loss/gain from uninsulated surfaces in your facility
- Energy (Btu) loss/gain from insulated surfaces in your facility
- Btu or energy loss/gain from a pipe or vessel if it is insulated to the most thermally efficient, yet cost effective, thickness.
Featured Industry Solution Brief
From controlling condensation to keeping staff safe, mechanical insulation played a significant role in the successful completion of The Alchemist brewery expansion.